All classes will meet as scheduled on Wednesday, January 28. Spring 2015 registration and on-line registration will continue through Friday, January 30th Please register and pay on-line at any time. Senior Registration has been moved to Monday, Feb. 2nd, 10:30 am -12:30 pm.
This nine-month Medical Office Specialist Certificate Program is designed to provide students with a comprehensive preparation in administrative office procedures within a health care environment. This program offers students education in such skills as filing, billing procedures, appointment scheduling, insurance verification and pre-certification, current diagnostic and procedural coding. The course of study includes medical terminology, insurance, and coding. During the final phase of the program students are placed in a healthcare setting for their Co-operative Education Work Experience, such as physicians’ offices, hospital or health insurance agencies, or other potential sites of employment.
1. Function as competent entry-level Medical Office Specialist
personnel in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and
affective (behavior) learning domains.
2. Function safely and effectively as a Medical Office Specialist in allied health and medical settings such as physician’s offices, hospitals, health care facilities and health insurance agencies.
3. Carry out front office duties such as reception, insurance verification, posting payments and medical record maintenance.
4. Communicate effectively with patients and colleagues using appropriate knowledge of psychology.
5. Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal communication skills using both the written and spoken word.
6. Function within the legal and ethical standards as a Medical OFfice Specialist within the medical profession.
Courses taken in the Medical Office Specialist Certificate Program at NCC can be applied towards an Associate Degree Medical Office Management or General Studies. They may also attend other available health care programs in the Division of Nursing and Allied Health; nursing, respiratory care
Employment of administrative health care workers is expected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations as the health services industry expands due to technological advances in medicine, a growing and aging population, and with the shortened hospital stays, more patients are been seen in ambulatory care.
Tuition is very affordable. Students need to provide their own transportation to their externship sites.
Financial aid and scholarships are available to Medical Office Specialist Program students. Applications are available through the NCC Financial Aid office.